What police consider unusual criminal activity for Rumson, there have been two home burglaries on the same street since the beginning of February.
The houses, which sit across from one another on Brookdside Drive, were forceably entered and "jewelry and electronics were (allegedly) stolen from both," Rumson Police Detective Chris Isherwood told Patch. Both hits were likely done by the same person, he added.
Isherwood did not reveal the value of the merchandise, as the matter is still under investigation, but said it was significant enough for police "to get the information out there so people are aware and can keep on their toes."
While Isherwood said that there have not been a lot of burglary calls in Rumson lately, it does happen and, on behalf of the department, he thinks it's important that people know what's going on and how best to guard against it.
"People tend to get complacent in a quiet suburban town," he said. "We just want to make sure they are aware and forearmed with some tips."
The following is a released list of burglary prevention tips from the Rumson Police Department ...
Residents are urged to take the following steps to help secure their homes:
• Always activate your home security system when going out (even for a short time!)
• Make sure all doors and windows are locked and functioning.
• Keep on exterior porch and flood lights when out at night.
• If away for an extended period, have a neighbor or friend retrieve mail and newspapers periodically to prevent an obvious build-up.
• Notify the Rumson Police Department if you are going away to be placed on the House Watch list.
• Report any and all suspicious persons and vehicles at any time of day.
Anyone with information or questions about these or other burglaries in town is advised to call the Rumson Police Department at 732-842-0500, Isherwood said.