.
News Alert
Top 20 High Schools In New Jersey: Rumson-Fair…

Fireplace Ashes Deemed Cause of Area Mansion Fire

The fire has been ruled accidental, according to the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office.

The four-alarm fire that burned through a century-old estate in Shrewsbury on Monday was caused by fireplace ashes that had been "improperly disposed," according to the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office.

The fire, which was ruled accidental, originated in a hall closet on the first floor where still-burning ashes cleaned from a fireplace had been placed, according to Charles Webster, spokesman for the prosecutor's office.

Shrewsbury Fire Department Chief Peter Gibson said that the call came in around 1:15 p.m. on Feb. 4 for a fire at 469 Sycamore Ave. When firefighters arrived, "There was heavy fire showing on the first floor," he said.

The cause of the fire was investigated by the prosecutor's office in conjunction with the county fire marshal and local fire officials, Webster said.

The 7,042 square foot estate dates back to the late nineteenth century and according to county property tax records was owned by Jeffrey and Joan Rich. In 2012, it was assessed for $1,057,000.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something