Here is a list of 5 things you need to know today:
1. Shaded Vision: Grab your sunglasses because according to the National Weather Service, today will be beautiful and sunny with a high reaching into the 70's. Take advantage of this beautiful weather with a walk through the Fair Haven Natural Area or along the Navesink River. Tonight will be partly cloudy with a low in the 50's.
2. Run Your Heart Out: Around 300 people ran in the 5 mile race and another 150 ran the 3K at the Rumson Fair Haven Run on Sunday, May 8 at the Rumson-Fair Haven Regional High School (RFH). The morning started with the 5 Mile A.J. Bruder race at 9:30 in front of the school, followed by the 3K Fun Run at 11:00 and finished with the Kiddie Dash. The 5 Mile was renamed the A.J. Bruder 14 years ago to honor a former track star from RFH who won the first annual Run and who passed away at a young age from a brain tumor. This event is a local community tradition in its 20th year. Click here to read more about the races and see some great photos.
3. Board of Denials: Councilman Lucarelli says the zoning board is "a very bad example of how the residents of Fair Haven are being treated" and proposed disbanding the board at the Fair Haven Council meeting on Monday night. Lucarelli said he has been in the real estate business for over 20 years and after attending countless zoning board meetings all over the state, he had never seen applicants treated as poorly as in Fair Haven. “I was absolutely appalled by the arrogance and condescending nature of the zoning board. The way that the applicants were treated was unacceptable,” he said. Click to read what members of the board and the community had to say about his observation and to also learn what the mayor decided to do.
4. Calling All Nature Fans: Interested in nature? Want to learn about the wetlands? If so, head over to the Church of the Nativity in Fair Haven tonight. Photographer and environmental advocate George Aronson will answer the question "Wetlands; What good are they anyway" at the Monmouth County Audubon Society's monthly meeting. The event is open to the public and will start at 8:00 p.m. The church is located at 180 Ridge Rd, Fair Haven.
5. Success Tips from Coach Clapp: Patricia Phelan Clapp is a transition coach in the Rumson-Fair Haven area and is also now one of Patch's newest bloggers. In her first post, Patti offers a success tip for the day: Put Yourself Back on the List. Click here to read more about how to put yourself first again. Interested in writing your own blog? Click here for more information.