Let's be honest. Raising you was no piece of cake. You cried a lot (in the middle of the night), threw temper tantrums in the grocery store, and were always asking for money. (We won't even bring up the time the police had to call your house.) So how do you show your gratitude to your mom? With sincere love, thanks and a nice gift you didn't cheap out on.
We asked some local moms how they would like to be honored on Mother's Day and how they will be honoring their moms. So read on for inspiration and, at the very least, call your mom.
Brag about how many pull-ups your mom can do. Buy her some trainer time.
- Karen, a mom from Oceanport, recommended in Long Branch. "This local Crossfit 'box' provides outstanding personal training and/or classes that emphasize strength training, flexibility, and endurance - all great attributes for a mom of any age." A single session is $65.
- , Eatontown, is offering a Mother's Day gift certificate deal - two memberships for the price of one. The cost is $55 plus tax for one month at I Deserve.
Make her wildest dreams come true. Clean her house.
- All moms want a clean house. Some just don't want it to smell like bleach. Eco Momma Green House Cleaning is operated by Oceanport mom Robin Wallace, who uses eco-friendly cleaners. Call (732) 533-9429 for a free estimate.
Spend the day together in the kitchen, just not cooking.
- Rumson mom Katie Johnson said if her mom were here, she'd opt for an early mother’s day gift. "I would spend the day at the Rumson A La Carte Kitchen Tour. View nine beautiful kitchens with mom, shop at the vendor showcase and have lunch at Salt Creek Grille all on May 10."
- Wholesome Catering, run by Debbie Disakias of Red Bank, offers in-home cooking demos using all organic ingredients. She also specializes in gluten-free cooking. Disakias says she makes those decadent party foods we love in healthier versions. Cooking demo at your house for eight is $500, including food.
- Chef David Burke wants to cook dinner for you and the fam. The four course dinner for four will feature herb crusted filet mignons and lobster mac and cheese. Burke will also kick in a mom's relaxation kit with candle, body lotion, bubble bath and David Burke Magazine, all for $99. To order email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Available for pick up May 12 and 13.
She made beautiful kids, imagine what she could do with jewelry.
- Canvas Studio Art in Rumson is offering a jewelry class this summer called Restore, Repair and Repurpose. The class, taught by Ayala Naphtali, will be held on Thursday evenings in July and August from 6- 8 p.m. Students will take their treasured, broken jewelry and learn how to create new pieces from them. This class is for all levels. Tools and most materials will be supplied. Cost: $100 + $20 materials fee. To purchase a gift certificate specially designed for Mother’s Day, contact Canvas Studio Art at (732) 383-7927 or email@example.com.
Flowers, plus a little something extra aromatic...
- Posies Floral Studio in Middletown is arranging a springy pink and white bouquet that pairs fresh white daisies with hot pink roses in a light pink glass cube vase and adorned with a coordinating ribbon. The cost is $40.
- Gem Cunningham of Posies also recommends the shop's Trapp Candles made of soy/parrafin wax in 10 different scents. "We are also the only local shop that features them. As they call it 'a bottle of perfume in a candle'." The featured scent for Mother's Day will be amber and bergamot candle. The 7 oz. candle is packaged in a gold gift box, $25 each or two for $45.
- Posies not around the corner for you? Check out these other Patch Reader's Choice Florists: , Middletown, Little Silver, Oceanport, Rumson, Fair Haven, Red Bank and Shrewsbury.
Leave mama home alone.
- Small Factory Productions in Fair Haven is offering moms a special on Factory Nights in May. Register your child for any class or camp and mom gets a monthly pass to send the kids to Factory Nights any Friday or Saturday nights throughout May.
- River Road Books in Fair Haven invites kids to come in and pick out a book for mom. After picking out a book kids can personally decorate the box for mom without making a mess at home. Taking place Saturday, May 12 from 1 – 3 p.m.
We had such a large response from our survey of moms in the greater Two River Area that our gift guide is a two-parter. Check back tomorrow for the second half of our gift guide, and be sure to let us know what gifts you would like to receive in the comments section below.