Invite a friend
Rumson Historical Commission Meeting
More About Rumson Borough
Rumson was settled as a result of a land purchase in 1665. It was purchased from the Lenni-Lenape tribe of Native Americans. It was originally called Navarunsunk, but throughout the years the name was shortened and eventually became Rumson. Incorporated as a borough in 1907, it is located on a peninsula overlooking the ocean. The Navasink and Shrewsbury Rivers are also around it. Rumson is made up of 5.2 square miles and contains 40 miles of roads including 133 streets and five county roads.