5 Things You Need to Know Today: Sept 9
A round-up of useful information and events happening around Rumson and Fair Haven today.
Here is a list of 5 things you need to know today:
1. Shaded Vision: Grab your shades on the way out the door because according to the National Weather Service, today will be partly sunny with a high near 80 degrees. There will be a north wind around 7 mph. Tonight, there is a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. There will be mostly cloudy skies with a low around 66 degrees and a west wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
2. Always Remember: Children at Deane Porter have started the new school year with a brand new playground. The playground came as a result of the fields project developed by the school and Rumson Borough. The playground itself was funded by The Friends of Deane Porter and the KDM Foundation— a group that fundraises and supports community endeavors in the name of Keith McHeffy, a victim of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. A small dedication ceremony is scheduled this Sunday, the 10th anniversary of September 11. Click here for more details about McHeffy and the dedication ceremony and see photos of the new playground.
3. Bridging a Gap: Over 120 Bridge enthusiasts came out for the Sixth Annual Navarumsunk Auxiliary Benefit Bridge Luncheon, Wednesday, September 7th at the Rumson Country Club. The event featured both Duplicate and Party Bridge raised more than six thousand dollars for Family & Children’s Service (FCS), Monmouth County’s oldest non-profit organization. Click here to watch a video and to learn more about the organization and the tournament.
4. Blotter Alert: According to a police blotter prepared by Detective Jesse Dykstra, theft and underage crime dominated police reports during the month of August. These types of crimes took up over 75 percent of the blotter for the entire month. Among the other incidents that were reported in the blotter were a DWI, possession arrests and criminal mischief. Click here to see the reported incidents from the August Fair Haven Police Department Blotter unedited.
5. Locals' Summer: Summer may be officially over, but now is the time that many refer to as the locals' summer. Head to the beach to enjoy the "summertime" and check out the fall edition of Skim Bash, an ameatur and professional skim boarding competition that takes place on Sea Bright Beach twice a year right behind Borough Hall next to Donovan's Reef. Click here for more details. While you are over the bridge, grab a bite at the new restaurant Woody's Ocean Grille and enjoy a local summer day out with some Sea Bright businesses.