5 Things You Need to Know Today: May 5
A round-up of useful information and events happening around Rumson and Fair Haven today.
Here is a list of 5 things you need to know today:
1. Cinco de Mayo: According to the National Weather Service, today will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 63. It will be breezy, with a northwest wind between 17 and 20 mph. Even though the skies will be grey, it will be much better then the rain we had yesterday. Moving into the evening, no star will shine as the clouds will continue to take up the sky with a low around 44. There will be a west wind between 10 and 13 mph. Even though there are grey skies, don't let that stop you from enjoying Cinco de Mayo. Stop by local restaurants like McGreggors or Val's Tavern for their nachos or margarhitas to celebrate!
2. Think Pink: Guests at the Nauvoo Grill Club were thinking pink Tuesday night at the Pink Lecture and Champagne Cocktail event in support of breast cancer awareness. Tuesday night’s event was held in support of Riverview Medical Center’s Paint the Town Pink. Donald Cugini, M.D. and John Taylor, M.D. gave lectures on breast and reconstructive surgery. Their lectures and visual presentations informed women at the event that even when faced with breast cancer, there are always options. Click here to read more details about this fabulous event.
3. New Faces: The Rumson School District and the Fair Haven School District both had their re-organization meetings last night. In Fair Haven, Mario S. Venancio of Buttonwood Drive, Cathy Alescio of Oxford Avenue and Elaine Lehnert of Cambridge Avenue all were elected to three year positions. In Rumson, Colleen O’Connor of Lenox Avenue, Colleen Hodge of Monmouth Avenue, and Kim Swain of Rumson Road were elected to 3-year positions. Peter Jarck of Ridge Road was elected for a two-year term. Margaret Kaminski of Hartshorne Lane was elected to a one year term. Click here to read more about the Rumson meeting.
4. Cops and Robbers: On April 22, a Fair Haven borough resident reported that he had approximately $70,000 worth of silver bullion bars taken from his residence. Detective Dykstra said that he has no leads and is still investigating. Click here to read more from the Fair Haven police blotter.
5. Belle of the Ball: Join In-Style Vintage for its first ever prom and formal dress sale on Thursday, May 5 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. In-Style Vintage has over 100 formal dresses for every occasion including weddings, proms or the Cancer Ball. Save 20 percent off In-Style Vintage's already low prices during the event. The store has dresses from top designers such as Badgley Mischka, Nicole Miller, Calvin Klein, Jessica McClintock, Emanuel Ungaro, Tahari, Vivienne Tam, Carmen Marc and Valero. Many of the dresses are brand new and have never been worn. For more information, call 732-741-9110.